Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Responsibility

Years ago when I was in college (a very non-charismatic institute) Oral Roberts told the nation that God had told him that he was going to die if he didn’t raise $1,000,000 by a certain date. As the date drew near Bro. Roberts reported an extended date from God. The money was not raised at the original date and I’m unsure if it was raised at the new deadline. I could research it but frankly it’s a waste of time. I remember the ridicule he received from us young preacher boys at the time. Now this doesn’t ring solid to me. I’ve not known Father to operate like this (threatening someone to raise money or die) but He doesn’t consult me as to how he should deal in the lives of others.

As the story goes, one of the preacher boys, Tim Coble, spoke up after several days of this merriment. He said, “It’s not right that we ridicule a brother in Christ. We don’t know what God told Bro. Roberts in that prayer tower of his. It’s none of our business. Who are we to say what God told or didn’t tell someone else?”

This had an impact on me. It taught me to be slow in joining in when someone is being stoned. My initial response to Bro. Robertson in his latest pronouncement is to think, “Oh brother!” But I thought of Mary and Joseph. There were those who never believed them. Maybe the Spirit led them to not say a word to those of unbelief. Maybe they were supposed to keep on speaking which became condemnation to the unbelievers. Frankly, it’s none of my business as to how Father wants to do things. There will be those who will refuse to believe either way. If a great catastrophe falls on us they will say anyone could see that we were going to get hit sometime and Pat got lucky. The point is that you can’t think about what others are going to say if Father has told you to speak something. Say it and let the chips fall where they may.

I have my opinion about this current proclamation but I don’t know how he and Father relate or how Father communicates with him. If it doesn’t happen then Bro. Robertson needs to be equally vocal in saying he misheard and apologize. This would take greater faith. Be responsible for your words because we represent the King.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home