Friday, February 23, 2007

Psalm 138

I will give You thanks with all my heart;

O how my heart can be divided! And how this man can be double-minded. I love David. He knew how to give his heart to Father. He knew how to be intimate. It becomes common-place to only give a portion of my heart, all the while thinking I’m giving my all. Giving the whole heart is a choice that we can make. We don’t have to wait until the wind or season is right before we sail.

I have lunch with my pastor on Thursdays. Often we don’t have an agenda in our conversation but just enjoying each other’s presence in the presence of Father. He gives his heart more than anyone I’ve ever known. He demonstrates this and I’m learning. I used to think I was intimate until I got married and realized what intimacy really was. I am just in kindergarten.

I will sing praises to You before the gods.

At first reading I skimmed over this thinking that we really don’t believe in other gods to praise God before. But after a closer thought, I realized the other gods are my idols that I’ve set up. These are things that I worship by giving my time and energy – things that I place before God. I will stand in allegiance before these things as I worship the one true God.

I will bow down toward Your holy temple
And give thanks to Your name for Your lovingkindness and Your faithfulness;
For You have magnified Your promise together with all Your name.


“For You have magnified (enlarged) Your word according to all (in the same measure) Your name.” “Be it unto you according to your faith.” Father’s name and word are the same which is demonstrated in lovingkindness and faithfulness.

On the day I called, You answered me;
You made me bold with strength in my soul.


I like that, “On the day.” How many times have I called and thought God didn’t answer, at least not in what I would consider was a timely fashion. However, I could have missed it. Looking back, did I not have strength of soul to address the concern? Faith is action. I move out with boldness and the strength of soul is there with each step. My part is moving. His part is giving strength of soul. I just need to be concerned with my part.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will keep me alive;
You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies,
And Your right hand will save me.
The Lord will accomplish what concerns me;
Your lovingkindness, O Lord, is everlasting;
Do not forsake the works of Your hands.


There is a comfort in knowing that the Lord will accomplish what concerns me. I often think of the Lord as a silent by-stander, passively watching but rarely involved. The truth is that He is intricately involved in my circumstances and will bring about His purposes.

2 Comments:

Blogger Terry_Jim said...

Well said, Brent.

He IS faithful.
He DOES answer- sometimes "Yes", sometimes "No", the most difficult answer is, "Wait."

I just read of your son, and rejoice with you for his recovery, join with you in prayer for his continued development, and pray that you and your family would continue to walk in the Peace of God.

Terry

11:52 PM  
Blogger brent said...

Thanks Terry,

I like that you capitalized peace. Jesus is our peace. He is peace. Thanks for your prayers.

b

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home