Thursday, March 22, 2007

Knitting

We received a gift when me and H were married 13 years ago of three rugs that were hand knitted. (At least I would call it knitting.) I have one still in regular use on the back deck. It’s a little frayed but still in pretty good shape, especially being outside under a covered deck year round. I don’t think that machines knit that good. A Wal-Mart comparison wouldn’t have made it three years. This rug is a testimony for the one who made it. I don’t believe she is still alive but her rug lives on. What a craftsman!

I finished with my casual reading of Psalms last week and now feel my attention turning toward the Psalmist. Today while reading, I Samuel 18:1ff jumped out at me. It says, “the soul of Jonathan was knit to the soul of David, and Jonathan loved him as himself.” Wow! That strikes me. It appears to be love at first sight. The story of David and Jonathan is a story of best friends that extended to their heritage. It really is a beautiful story. It reminds of the song, “I want to be loved like that.”

The One who knit their souls together was God. And we know of His craftsmanship. I believe that we are all spools of material waiting to be knitted with each other. Let me correct myself. We are all being knitted to one another by the hands of time and the tools of common experience. Each interaction is a stitch. We sometimes become frayed and look all a mess but the skillful hands of the Master continues to work. The yarn has no say in what the Master Craftsman does. We think we can resist and get knotted up but He’s more skillful than the most tangled knot.

Who has Father knit you with? Why do you act as if you are knit with no one? This story is not on a different level reserved for only the special people. It is currently taking place with us all. It’s fascinating when you think about it. All the interactions we have is a great fabric that blankets the world. We are all connected through this knitting. This is especially true in the Spirit. It is absolutely true in the Spirit. And really all other human knitting is just an imitation of what the Spirit does with those who are connected in Christ.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The facinating part to me is the fact that they were pretty much best friends- yet Jonathan was probably 20 to 30 years older than David was.

That's an example we also need to follow in our every day lives. To partner up with those younger than us, and simply be friends. Not necessarily mentors, but just friends.
Just a thought.

6:47 PM  
Blogger brent said...

The spirit is ageless.

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home