Friday, March 09, 2007

Richard Alexander

Occasionally when bored, I like to go surfing. I will look for blog names that jump out at me in hopes to find a good read. I've looked at 100s of them since finding the world of blog. I even bookmark some of them to visit occasionally. One such blog was from an 80 year old conservative who fought in WWII. He started blogging because his local newspaper would only run a letter to the editor once every thirty days. He felt that he had more to say than that.

His son made the last post a few days ago. He died March 4th. March 5th would have been two years to the day when he started blogging. Now he belongs to the ages.

I was saddened by this news when I surfed by his site today. I didn't know him and for the several months I've been reading I only made two or three comments. But I admired him and told him as much in one of my comments. It feels as if we have all lost something. You know how it was when we were kids and something of significance happened yet we were too immature to realize it. There has been a great disturbance in the force. The sad thing is that I'm not sure what it was we lost. His dignity and character? His presence? His contribution to life? His contribution to the country he loved? I feel like a little boy next to him and can't quite grasp the significance of the moment. We have lost a part of a treasure that is slowly slipping away. And before long it will all be gone.

1 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

Richard's last words of his last post were, "it is our responsibility to search for the truth."

Great last words!

12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home