Monday, July 02, 2007

Return

Our Father which art in heaven, we Thy children are often troubled in mind, hearing within us at once the affirmations of faith and the accusations of conscience. We are sure that there is in us nothing that could attract the love of One as holy and as just as Thou art. Yet Thou hast declared Thine unchanging love for us in Christ Jesus. If nothing in us can win Thy love, nothing in the universe can prevent Thee from loving us. Thy love is uncaused and undeserved. Thou art Thyself the reason for the love wherewith we are loved. Help us to believe the intensity, the eternity of the love that has found us. Then love will cast out fear; and our troubled hearts will be at peace, trusting not in what we are but in what Thou hast declared Thyself to be. Amen.

A.W. Tozer

Return, O wanderer, now return,
And seek thy Father’s face;
Those new desires which in thee burn
Were kindled by His grace.

Return, O wanderer, now return,
And wipe the falling tear:
Thy Father calls,-no longer mourn;
‘Tis love invites thee near.

William Benco Collyer

I stumbled over these quotes in A.W. Tozer’s book “The Knowledge of the Holy.” What impressed me was the phrase, “Help us to believe the intensity, the eternity of the love that has found us.” It reminds me of Psalm 117:2, “For His lovingkindness is great toward us.” It literally means, that His love prevails over us. Father is constantly pursuing us. It is His grace that causes us to hear His calling voice. It is His love that removes the fear that causes us to hide from God and others. It is fear that prevents us from being intimate, being real with God and others. His love is in the process of eliminating this fear from us. Perfect love casts out fears. God hasn’t given us a spirit of fear but of power (ability), of love, and of a sound mind.

Being busy is an insufficient excuse for my long absence. So much has happened and so much has passed through my mind that I’ve thought of writing about. I’ve journaled but not here. It’s been like watching a merry-go-round spinning and wanting to jump on but not sure where, when, and how. So I just jumped on. I don’t have a lot of time to write but do enjoy the process. My apologies to the masses that hang on my every word.

I have wanted to write more, but particularly, I’ve wanted to write letters to my sons and wife on a regular basis. I would like to have regular family devotions. I would like to exercise regularly. I would like to improve my eating habits. I would like to pursue those I love with a passion. I would like to validate those closest to me as to how important they are to me. I would like to value what God values. I would like to be perfect. Acts 1:8 says, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you.” I believe this to mean that I will receive the ability to do all and be all that Father has in mind for me. I need to be at peace with that. I need to allow the process and time that the Spirit uses to take effect and be content with where I am all the while craving more of Him.

Peace.

b

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I did miss you and... I'm hanging.

mc

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home