Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Proverbs 3

This chapter is so full I was tempted to copy the whole thing. It speaks of the benefits of wisdom – the life lived by wisdom. What came to mind was, “Why do we choose anything different?” I may have difficulty with delayed gratification. I may lean too much to my own understanding and not consider the advice/experience/understanding of others. I may have pride. The other thing that came to mind was not start from a zero sum balance. This means to not operate like I have nothing but to focus on the wisdom Father has given me and build on that. I have a tendency to start by focusing on the negative – what I don’t have – instead of building upon my strengths. This is a slight attitude change but can produce great dividends. With that said here are a few verses and comments.

My son, do not forget my teaching, but let your heart keep my commandments v. 1

The second half of the verse initially caught my eye but after meditating on it I see the perfect compliment to the first half. This verse shows both knowing what to do and having the attitude to do it. The first half deals with the mind and the second half with the heart. Attitude is a choice. I obey from my mind but submit from my heart. I must not only know wisdom but take it to heart, that is, make it a part of me.

Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you;. . . So you will find favor and good success in the sight of God and man. vs. 3a-4

The NASB says, “kindness and truth.” The ASV says, “good understanding.” The GNB says, “If you do this, both God and people will be pleased with you.” And the BBE says, “So you will have grace and a good name in the eyes of God and men.” Kindness and truth will balance a person. Too much kindness and you’ll become a door mat. Truth helps set the boundaries in an appropriately assertive way. If I respond in every situation from kindness and truth others will understand where I’m coming from and respect me.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. vs. 5-6

This is one of the first passages I memorized. It is its own commentary.

It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones. v. 8

The “it” is having a proper view of yourself, fearing the Lord, and turning away from evil. There is a connection between a clear conscience with a proper attitude and your health. Said another way, your mental and physical and spiritual health are linked.

I could go on. This chapter is rich. Read it for yourself and see what Father impresses you with then let me know.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home