Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On being responsible

Recently I finished Deep Economy by Bill McKibben. It was recommended by a blog I read. The blogger is strong on community which is probably what drew him to this book - the one redeeming point. He focuses too much on green. I'm not against green but his seems to come from a humanistic standpoint. It strikes me as funny how the green folks only focus on the fatalistic part of science as it serves them. It seems an emotional response.

The book has redeeming qualities but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. Mr. McKibben starts from the wrong premise so his outcome is wrong. I'm not here to *argue* about global warming or the demonization of America. These are emotional issues and they get us no where, certainly not toward solution.

The bottom line for me is that God is in charge and we are responsible. Period. We have been giving a stewardship as humans (take dominion) and as Christians (personal and corporate obedience to God). I don’t drive a vehicle that saves gas because earth is going to hell. I don't shut my water off in the shower when I lather up because I'm afraid we will run out of water. I don't buy local because I'm against corporate America. I don't manage my money responsibly out of fear. All I do is because of faith. It is not kingdom standard to be or live wastefully.

I had a youth pastor once who picked up pieces of trash and took extra care of living creatures. (It really was sickening as he would catch flies in his house and release them out doors.) He didn't talk about this much but demonstrated a stewardship. He cared for things like God cares for things. He is his Father's child. So are we. All that we do must be out of a life of faith and not of fear. I heard a lot of fear while reading this book.

The community part was on target for the most part. We have lost that sense of community in our culture and sadly in the culture of our churches. We are disconnected and are suffering for it. The more I read Scripture, and especially Paul, the more I get the sense Father thinks more of us as a body than as individuals. As a group. As a church. As part of or an extension of Him. We are all a part of Him.

We are His care-takers of the earth. Just as the body cannot continuously take in garbage and not suffer, I expect the earth to be the same way. The earth is very resilient because it is by Him that all things consist and hold together. This book sets out seemingly with the premise that we are both in charge and responsible. We are responsible, yes, but He is in charge. Our responsibility lies with being obedient to Him and modeling a kingdom lifestyle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home