Monday, August 20, 2007

Inching Along

Yard by yard life is hard; inch by inch life is a cinch. One of the elders at church has been saying this lately. It resonates because it completely hits the bulls-eye for me. I look at the big picture and wonder what I’m supposed to be doing. I get tied up – froze up – like a possum in the road looking at oncoming headlights. Then I run frantically back and forth until I lose sight of the lights and jump up into the bottom of the passing vehicle. The point is that all I have to do is follow his leading today – right now. I don’t have to have the completed plans before I take the first step.

If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. John 12:26

Implied in this verse is that I can serve, follow, know, and be with Jesus today. I must surrender my will, desires, and wants to Him. This is not a one-way relationship. Jesus said that His sheep know Him and follow Him. We make it more difficult than it is.

So today, since I hear His voice, I will follow. I’m not going to worry about screwing up because He is the Shepherd and it is His responsibility to lead. As much as is in me, I will follow. My only concern is this step. I will be willing to take this step as much as I understand what this step is.

I believe Father is communicating with us. I believe we can hear if we’re willing to listen. He is in charge and I am responsible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home