Wednesday, September 26, 2007

That which is profitable

While driving home last night, I read Proverbs 14:23 on a church billboard. It struck me because of my recent rumination of what I will do in the future. I can talk something to death and never complete the thought with action. My problem is that I have too much time before I need to do something. However, I need to take the time I do have and start planting now so I will reap when I need to.

I few thoughts come to me:

1. Drop insurance altogether and have people give what they think the service is worth. This would require me to market myself in a different direction then I have previously. I would want to focus from an overtly Christian standpoint. I would come from a holistic perspective with minimal medications. If you treat the whole person – body, soul, and spirit – then balance and wholeness will be achieved. Medications are too often a salve for the symptoms and not the cure for the core issue. I’m not totally anti-medication, however, I think they are prescribed way too much. Our society has developed a sense of entitlement regarding the immediate. There are no quick fixes.

2. Going a completely new direction, unrelated to counseling (at least directly). I’ve been researching franchises and thinking what does Spfd need next. Also while driving home I realized a new hotel going up next to several other hotels. That takes guts. What impressed me is that I don’t need to focus primarily on what others are doing but to just do it better. My problem with franchises is that if someone could start it up to begin with then I wouldn’t need to pay them for having their name, I could start up my own thing. That is what I did with my counseling practice. There were several that asked me to be a part of their practice. It didn’t make sense for me to give them a cut of what I make and still have to develop my own caseload.

3. I want to work with people. I want to develop people, especially young people. I want to have something bigger then just my own plot of land. I want to help others develop their plot as well. I want to contribute to the economy of Spfd. I want to make others successful. I receive a great sense of satisfaction in knowing I had a part in another’s success.

So, where to start? What do I need to be doing now? How do I get my rear end in gear? Three things come to me as I write:

1. In all labor there is profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. Proverbs 14: 23
This tells me that I need to get moving and make the most of my time.

2. If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. John 12:26
There is so much to focus on that I can become overwhelmed with the stimuli. The only One I need to focus on is Jesus and trust that He will lead me each step of the way. Priorities.

3. On Thursday I have lunch with my pastor. I need to utilize his wisdom and his emotional detachment from the situation to see clearly.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jack H said...

All for a holistic approach. I've gone way too far into the somatic, for my own purposes. Stalling tactics. But you might look into NLP -- neurolinguistic programming. Godless, but pragmatic. Just a set of techniques that may actually work.

And something like deep tissue massage -- tension can be approached from either direction, psychic or somatic. Why limit yourself?

I'm looking into Tai Chi, supposed to be a form of meditation through movement. I don't see why the pagans have to own this idea. The occult is just a form of psychology -- bring God back into it. Remember the prophet schools in Israel -- Elijah was associated with them, and I am certain they taught what are now concidered Eastern techniques. I'm forgetting the servant's name, but his "eyes" were opened that he might see angels.

Best,

J

2:38 AM  
Blogger brent said...

I tend to be more holistic and eclectic in my approach as it stands now. I'm casually familiar with NLP. (I'm a big Milton fan.) People have their own answers if they will settle down and listen. The various techniques just help people come to that.

Funny that you mention Tai Chi as I've been thinking about that lately. I've taught the kids some yoga and was thinking TC would work just as well.

We are of the same mind about the neutrality of humanistic forms of self-control and mind expansion.

Thanks for the comments J.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Living in Memphis said...

1 - Of course, pray, listen and follow.
2 - I am a big believer we need someone to do "it" better. So many service oriented "businesses" are not providing a good service. It is still very much true- "build a better mouse trap..." But be careful - you aren't trying to catch rats.
3 - Not a fan of Tai Chi, but that comes from my history studies of Far Eastern religions. JH's term "pagan" took me back to that. "Subtle" pagan seems to dominate "Christianity" today.

3:22 PM  
Blogger brent said...

Pegan is a mindset. All things are lawful but not all things are expedient. It takes dependence upon Holy Spirit to walk the maze. Sometimes things are more mazy in church.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home