Monday, November 26, 2007

The Greater Gift

And all these, having gained approval through their faith, did not receive what was promised

Hebrews 11:39


As is my habit, I review the outline of my pastor’s message from Sunday morning in my quiet time through the week. I figure he’s heard from the Lord and I need to hear what the Lord’s point is. I generally read through the context of the passage. This Sunday Bishop preached through the greater part of Hebrews 12 with the emphasis on our discipline from the Lord. The text was Hebrews 12:3-17.

It is not uncommon that Holy Spirit will hook me into the first verse I read. That happened today. How many people receive a promise from the Lord and never see the fulfillment while in the body. Isn’t odd that the Lord would give someone a promise and then not let them see the fulfillment of it? It almost seems cruel. What is He doing?

The context would suggest that Father is giving them a greater gift then the original promise. His word is true and it will be fulfilled. Nothing returns to Him void. But He doesn’t necessarily promise that we will see it in our life times. The greater gift is the refinement of their souls. Father is more concerned about my development than He is about giving me all the goodies. That doesn’t mean He doesn’t want to bless us. I am tremendously blessed. I was reading recently how Father told Abraham that He was going to make his name great so that he could be a blessing. I believe it is an entire package. With that said, sometimes we go without in the immediate so that we don’t have to go without when it counts the most.

These models of faith spoken of in Hebrews 11 longed to see the promise (and they did), but gained something far greater in the approval from their Father and God. Then, in us, they gained the promise: but God had provided something better for us, so that apart from us, they would not be made perfect. Hebrews 11:40

We are the fulfillment of what Father promised them. Not just us, but our relationship with Father through Jesus and all that entails. We exist and experience Jesus because of their faith. It is a perpetual faith passed on from one to the next. We will pass it on to our children of faith. Who will in turn perfect our faith. They will validate our faith in the living God. Some will scoff and excuse us as foolish but He has the last word. It doesn’t matter if we see it in our time frame or not. Our only expectation is Jesus. We give Him our hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home