Thursday, January 01, 2009

Proverbs 1

Happy New Year! May this be a year of increased knowledge and revelation of our Lord. May you experience His presence and overwhelming love in ways that are undeniable. May you know Jesus, the man who loves you.

When I read Proverbs 1, Matthew 11:19 came to mind: “Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds.” I like how the KJV translated deeds, “children.” We can’t help but reproduce what is really in us. Our deeds are our children – good, bad, and ugly. We will show the degree of wisdom we possess. We will eat the fruit of all our labor.

The other thing that impressed me was verse 32, “the complacency of fools will destroy them.” To what degree have I become complacent? I define complacency as being satisfied with the accomplishments of the past with minimal or no motivation for the present while having an expectation that the future will remain prosperous. Along with complacency comes a sense of entitlement – an unhealthy pride-laziness. The question I must ask myself is, “What does complacency look like in me?” No one sets out to be complacent. How do I discern it when I’m on the step at the house of complacency? Then, what do I do about it? According to Proverbs 1 is to heed Wisdom’s call. This is easier said than done. It is only as I trust Holy Spirit moment by moment to reveal, motivate, and empower can I have any hope of not being lulled asleep by Complacency’s voice.

So this is what I will be meditating on today. I’m not looking for intellectual stimulation. I want Truth to be internalized in me.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home