Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Pursuit Intimacy

Here is a piece I wrote almost a year ago for my church's publication. I present it in light of my last post about intimacy. But first. . .

It seems that we focus on the negative. Benjamin's response started with the "error" of Bonhoeffer. When I was originally writing I had cropped the parts I disagreed with but afterward re-inserted it. I too was drawn to the negative. This is why I said I didn't want to parse the verbs, meaning I didn't want to break down the sentence structure to analyze what I agreed or disagreed with. I wanted to focus on the wheat and not the tares of his statement. I left the tares to address on another day.

I think when we focus on the negative we play into the insecurity of others (and our own). We actually demonstrate Bonhoeffer's point. We send the underlying message that MC brought out that you have to measure up to my expectations to be acceptable to me and therefore to God. Now, I'm not saying the tares are to be ignored. Let's just love everybody. Jesus didn't ignore tares but the question remains as to how and when the tares are to be addressed. Jesus made the point that if the tares are addressed too early, we damage the wheat. Bottom line: Only intimacy with Jesus and others can address tares properly. There are no exact steps to be taken with everybody in every situation. Jesus is our security. Too often, I try to find security in nicely packaged boxes that are useless in addressing the challenges of every day life.


The Pursuit of Intimacy

My parents hid in the garden and they taught me well. I am so skilled that I can hide in plain sight. Adam and Eve lost the ability to be intimate. Regaining this is the sanctification process that Jesus started with his journey to restore order in the universe and more specifically within my heart. It’s amazing how I fight this process. (And it is a process not an immediate accomplishment never again needing to be attended to.) Intimacy, in a way, is a dying process. I die to my self and my fears and take the risk of rejection to give my self to someone else.

I know too much to be seduced by the mirage that intimacy would happen at some other time, or with some other person, or some other circumstances, or when my children are older, or when I get to Heaven. If I do not experience/practice intimacy at the level or measure I am capable of now, it won’t happen later. I have to give all my heart now, in this moment, and I will find I will have more to give later. I must meet my wife, or my kids, or my friends, or my God where they are and give them of my self without reservation.

If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me. (Luke 9:23)

Intimacy is joining Christ on the Calvary road on a daily basis. Yesterday’s manna becomes putrid and has no life. Intimacy is a journey not a destination. That phrase is over used but it is the truth. And I believe because of the way we were created, it is a journey we will forever experience in the present. More over, it is a pursuit. Something we must passionately pursue and struggle against the residue of the old nature putting it to death to gain the life that our hearts yearn for.

Today if you hear His Voice, do not harden you hearts (Heb. 3:15)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack H said...

Disagreement is how we clarify meaning and arrive at truth. It cerainly *may* rise from insecurity, but certainly need not do so. Jesus wasn't shy about his disagreement with the world. It is the nature of intelligence to separate, and of randomness to mix. Part of this is to distinguish between truth as we understand it, and error. A lot of what we object to, in disagreement, is the presumption or presence of disaproval or arrogance. Hence, *a gentle word turneth away wrath*. Another way of saying it is, if you have unpleasant news, tell it with as little emotion as possible.

Communication is a partnership, where we work together to arrive at agreement, or, alas, disagreement. Both are fine. After all, I think I read somewhere in the Bible that it is through disagreement that we know who is approved.

:-)


J

2:52 AM  
Blogger brent said...

Hey, Jack,

Glad you stopped by.

This may be why I left what I disagreed with Bon about. My point in doing so, "we don't have to agree." I believe as we allow ourselves to disagree we will let down the barriers that keep us from each other. If we start where we agree, we will gain mutual respect to honestly address our disagreements. I've had my belly full of parroting what is not revelation. I agree that we should not shy away from our differences. And you were dead on the bulls-eye with persception, real or imagined, is everything.

Most people that I have met have difficulty with being honest with themselves and others. I'm not talking about dishonest people in the sense I can't trust what they say, but guarded and untrusting of me (the pious fellowship). I often ask, "Do you trust me enough to be honest with me?" Am I trustworthy enough for others to feel freedom to disagree with me?

Now you, Jack, are on the other end of the spectrum. You know who you are. You are free to "love" (reference the song) without fear of rejection or the need to be right. Therefore, you can confront or be confronted without pretense. And grow from the experience.

A passage keeps ringing in my head. Eph. 4:1-3 ...I...implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, being diligent to preserve the UNITY OF THE SPIRIT in the bond of peace........v.13 until we all attain to the UNITY OF THE FAITH, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.

Both ends of the spectrum.

Peace.

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home