Friday, January 12, 2007

Growing

Five years ago about this time I was driving home from work thinking, “I’ve got it pretty good. I could just stay in this place.” I was referring to every level – logistically, as in job, place in life and family, and spiritually. I had a good job, a house, and a wife and son with a son on the way. I was content where I was and thought that I didn’t need to grow or move forward. I had reached the good life, the American dream.

The mental picture that came to me was of the children of Israel getting ready to cross the Jordan into Canaan – the land of covenant. Reuben, Gad, and half of Manasseh wanted to stay behind on the east side of the Jordan. They looked around and thought this land is good enough for us. As the story goes they settled there after helping their brothers establish themselves and for all practical purposes were never heard from again.

The next day I got a call from my wife that changed me. I’ve had to tell parents difficult news before. Actually just that week I told some parents the results of an IQ test that indicated their son was mildly MR. With one phone call I instantly became a better therapist. I was at work and my wife called from the doctor’s office to tell me that there was something terribly wrong with our son who was to be born in a few weeks. He had spina bifida. I knew little of what spina bifida was. Spina bifida is a birth defect of the spine with varying degrees of paralysis and possible mental handicap.

There is a host of things I could write about this but my point is that Father set me up to be comfortable so that He could reveal to me that that is not His way. He continually provides opportunities of growth and requires us to operate in faith. He will not allow us to become stagnant. He will not allow us to stay in Gilead and avoid the covenant and the resulting blessings. We are about growth which is a never ending process.

What brought this to mind is that recently I was thinking that I would like to see Father move in an apparent way in my life. So He provided me with an opportunity to walk something out in faith – something that is totally beyond me and requires me to trust in Him or fail. I am completely humbled. I know what David went through as he prostrated himself on the cold, hard floor crying out to God. He is my peace. He is faithful to protect and guide. These are not cutesy greeting card sentiments. They are life and sustenance. Please pray for me. I am determined to do the right thing regardless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home