Monday, January 08, 2007

The Man of God

The LORD reigns, let the earth rejoice; let the many coastlands be glad!... For You, O LORD, are most high over all the earth; You are exalted far above all gods. O you who love the LORD, hate evil! He preserves the lives of His saints; He delivers them from the hand of the wicked. Light is sown for the righteous, and joy for the upright in heart. Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous, and give thanks to His holy name! Psalm 97

Years ago my dad introduced me to a man he worked with. His name was Roy Murphy. Roy taught me how to white bass fish along the boarder of Missouri and Oklahoma. He also taught me much more. He was a common man with no remarkable features physically or as a whole. His most remarkable characteristic was that he loved the Lord with all his being. I remember the time he took me to the lower level of his house, pointing to a spot and saying, “This is where I got on my knees and asked God to teach me to love the things He loves and hate the things He hates.” He was a Godly man who visited the sick and the prisoner; he took care of the poor and widows. He studied God’s Word and tried to live it the best he could.

As I was reading this passage today, Roy came to mind. He died a couple of years ago and I miss him even though we didn’t have much contact in the latter years. He stands as a monument in my mind as to what it means to be a man of God. He was simple but of astounding substance. I want to grow up and be like Roy.

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home