Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Are You Listening?

It’s funny how my Father communicates with me. I can’t count the times that when He is trying to say something I see it everywhere. Recently, I’ve been reading a book by R. T. Kendall called, The Sensitivity of the Spirit. At this cross road I’ve also had a conversation with Jack in “The 70th Week” about revelation/insight, am discussing with the Spfd Youth Leaders Network about what direction God wants for us in next year’s abstinence rally, and last Sunday my pastor spoke on “Voice of God.” What do you think He’s trying to say? “Listen up!”

So how can we hear God? He is the original “great communicator.” In the beginning He spoke. He sent angels to speak for him. He sent prophets to speak on His behalf. He directed the Holy Spirit to breathe through men in writing the Scriptures. He sent the Word, Jesus. He sent the Holy Spirit to reside in us and teach us all things. He has provided nature as a demonstration of His word (Rom 1:20). He speaks through circumstances. I get the idea that Father has something to say. The question remains, are we listening?

I believe Father is very much aware and active in our specific circumstances. I know I have seen Him orchestrate situations in my life to bring about understanding/revelation. I believe He has an opinion about what’s going on with me and if I would quiet myself and listen would reveal it to me.

I used to pray, “Show me Your will.” And then scruntch my face and grunt and sweat and doubt when all the while He was speaking. Anymore, I believe that I have to work at not hearing Him. Remember it was the wicked generation (those living at that time) that wanted a sign. Father must tire of always being questioned.

John 10 is a beautiful illustration of how Jesus works with us.

Joh 10:1 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber.
Joh 10:2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
Joh 10:3 To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
Joh 10:4 When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
Joh 10:5 A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

Joh 10:14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me,

I hear His voice, and He calls me by name and leads me out.

He goes before me, and I follow Him, for I know His voice.

I will not follow a stranger… for I do not know the voice of strangers.

Heb 3:7 Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear his voice,
Heb 3:8 do not harden your hearts. . .

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.

Rev 3:22 He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.

Am I willing to hear? The conversation with Jack has provoked this thought in me. In pride, I can rest on my laurels and be a lazy thinker, retreating to the status quo, or I can be open to what Father is trying to say. Kendall says, “I have learned that it is very hard to hear from God when we are not truly open to what He may say.” It matters not the outcome except that I am listening. Jesus made Himself of no reputation. His only agenda was pleasing the Father and doing His will. When I make this my agenda, I believe that I hear the Father more clearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home