Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Proverbs 31 Woman

She is diligent in all she does from the moment she awakes to her last thoughts before drifting into sleep.

Her thoughts are continually toward her family intently considering all their ways.

Her hands work tirelessly to ensure the success of her household.

Her eyes are always watchful to ensure the protection and advantage of her family.

Her heart knows no exhaustion in its loving and commitment in the kindnesses it displays.

Her steadfastness and industry surpasses all others’.

Her beauty is soft and pleasant to the eyes.

Her wisdom is a shield and the foundation of our home.

Her emotional support is the very support girders of my life. Without her I would surely stop existing.

Her strength is unyielding. “Strength and dignity are clothing, and she smiles at the future.”

Her voice is strong, without hesitancy in speaking the truth. Wisdom flows from her lips.

Her spirit displays the likeness of her Father.

She is as a queen in her inner corridors, stately surveying each room.

She is perfect in all her ways, my strength, my help, my life.


I feel that this lacks passion, an intellectual exercise of thinking about my wife. This obviously is a very, very rough draft. She is the most beautiful, most caring, most industrious, most loving woman and a perfect fit for me. She completes me. I would be totally undone without her. And I feel that I am a bumbling amateur in loving her. I want to pursue her with my love as Father pursues me. It’s funny I used to think I was pretty intimate . . . with God and others. But when I got married, all my blind spots were exposed and I learned that I’m a kindergartner in the school of love.

Love has been a major theme that has run throughout my life. It is my motivation in all I do. I hate failure and love success but I frame success somehow within the confines of love. I guess it was the performance programming I received as a child. The truth is that love has little to do with performance. Yet it is intricately involved. We can’t legislate love. We can’t demand or require it. We can’t earn it yet we love because He first loved us. Love is a response to being loved. I believe we can only love because Father is love. The measure of my love toward Father directly corresponds to my love for my wife and really, the measure of my love toward all others. But nothing exposes how I really love except in my relationship with my wife. I can maintain a level of intimacy with others but still have my walls. I cannot do this with Holly. It is like the light of God’s presence that dispels all darkness. This is really, amazingly fascinating. I can look in the glass clearly and see a perfect reflection of myself, warts and all. The question remains, “Can I change or will I go away and forget what manner of man I am?” I am truly not worthy of the blessings afforded me. Father must really love me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home