Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Name

O LORD, who may abide in your tent? Who may dwell on your holy hill? He who walks with integrity, and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart . . . he swears to his own hurt and does not change. (Ps. 15:1-2, 4)

I read this the other day and it still is resonating in my mind. What commitment! He is committed to himself and his integrity. “I will do what I say even if it kills me,” says the man of integrity. Solid, unmovable, doing what’s right simply because it is the right thing to do. Kind of like God isn’t it. I was raised this way. My dad would take a loss if it was the right thing to do. He would say to me when I was boy, “Son, a good name is more desirable than gold.” He would argue that nothing beats a good reputation and it was difficult to reverse things once your name was tainted. He said that no one can take away your name, it’s all you really have.

A friend said, “nobody can give a heart - and live.” How profoundly true. It is a painful thing to give someone your heart. Ask Jesus? However, a good man will lay down his life for his friends. It is only through Jesus that we can become this good.

Sunday, I strained my back carrying my four year old son and his walker into the church building. I was trying to negotiate through the door and somehow twisted my back. I’ve never had any problems with my back before and now the simplest task is a major chore. It’s funny how the body works in unison. If one member suffers the whole body suffers. I think the reason the Church has little power or respect is that we don’t really grasp this and think people are dispensable, all the while not knowing that it is ourselves that we are dispensing of. And therefore, loose our name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home